In recent times, dabbing has evolved from a niche activity in the cannabis community to a popular method of consumption for many enthusiasts. For those unfamiliar with this method, dabbing involves the vaporization of cannabis concentrates like wax, shatter, and live resin.
Without further ado, let’s explore what dabbing really is, its benefits, and what you need to begin.
What is Dabbing?
Dabbing is a technique for consuming high-concentration cannabis extracts. Unlike traditional smoking, dabbing doesn’t involve combustion. Instead, it utilizes a heated surface, typically a nail or a banger, to vaporize the concentrate.
Once heated, the concentrate is “dabbed” onto the surface, producing a vapor that’s inhaled.
Portable devices, which are often referred to as “dab pens” or “wax pens”, mimic the dabbing experience in a more compact form. However, purists argue that these devices can’t replicate the authentic experience of using a dab rig.
Benefits of Dabbing
Dabbing actually offers a handful of benefits which are as follows:
- Potency – One of the primary appeals of dabbing is its potency. With THC concentrations reaching up to 90% in some extracts, it’s notably stronger than traditional flowers, which typically hovers around 20-30% THC.
- Efficiency – A small amount of concentrate can deliver a potent effect, making dabbing an efficient method for many.
- Flavor – If you appreciate the diverse palate of cannabis flavors, dabbing can be a revelation. Freshly derived extracts, especially those like live resin, retain their robust terpene profiles, offering a flavorful experience.
- Variety – Beyond strains, dabbers can explore a range of concentrates, each with unique characteristics. From the consistency of live resin to the texture of crumble, the options are vast.
Getting Started with Dabbing
If you want to start dabbing, the first step you should do is prepare the following tools:
- Dab Rig – The primary tool for dabbing, it’s similar to a bong but designed for concentrates.
- Quartz Banger or Nail – Think of this as the “bowl” where you place your concentrate.
- Torch – Used to heat the banger or nail.
- Dab Tool – A small implement used to handle and apply the concentrate.
- Terp Slurp Banger – An advanced form of banger that optimizes flavor and vapor quality.
- Dabbing Inserts – These tools can enhance the dabbing experience by optimizing heat retention and vaporization.
- Concentrates – You’ll need a high-quality cannabis concentrate. This can be purchased at many dispensaries, with options including wax, live resin, shatter, and more.
If you’re wary of using a torch or want a more modern approach, e-rigs or electronic dab rigs offer a digital experience. These devices heat the concentrate electronically, eliminating the need for a torch.
Many e-rigs are versatile which allows you to switch between concentrates and dry herbs.
Dabbing provides a unique and potent experience for cannabis consumers. As with any consumption method, it’s essential to use responsibly and be aware of your tolerance.
If you’re interested in exploring the world of cannabis concentrates, dabbing is definitely something you must try.